In 1888, Harris and Judith Grodzinski, bakers by trade, joined many members of the Jewish community in TsaristLithuania in migrating westward from Vilnius, establishing themselves in the East End of London. There they hired kosher ovens and set out baking bilkelekh, thereby beginning a business that would grow from a trading barrow to a full-scale bakery at 31 Fieldgate Street, over which they lived.
The bakery passed through two generations, managed successively by Harry and Judith's son Abraham (Abie) Grodzinski, who inherited the bakery at 18 on his father's untimely death at age 54; by Abie's widow, Bertha Jeidel, who had immigrated from Pfungstadt, Germany, and took over the business when Abie succumbed to the Spanish Flu Pandemic; and by their eldest children, Harry and Ruby Grodzinski, who took up the reigns in 1930.
Grodz prospered under Harry's and Ruby's tenure, beginning with the opening of a second location at 91 Dunsmure Road, Stamford Hill, to which baking was moved. A decade later, the bakery had expanded to six locations, and even the original Fieldgate Street location's demise in a 29 December 1940 German air raid could not halt expansion. By the mid-1960s Grodzinski was the largest kosher bakery in Europe, preparing both fine pastries and a range of breads, and adding to their retail business a thriving wholesale operation distributed through such British institutions as Selfridges, Marks & Spencer and Harrods.
In 1999 the first Grodzinski bakery was opened in Toronto, continuing the family baking tradition into fourth and fifth generations. The Edgware branch in London was managed by Tova Grodzinski, great-great-granddaughter of the founders, and a November, 2003 75th anniversary celebration unveiled a collection of historic photos and papers collected by current owner Jonathan Grodzinski.